Sunday 30 September 2012

Le site Web a lancé. ..finally

So it has finally arrived! Yes after months of hard work, I have finally launched my website. About time too, this means you can view my images more intimately. You can look at the varying styles I have so far to my repertoire.

I will keeping my online blog going as well, I like it here its a place where I can let off steam, and also find myself again.

I've noticed people are reading my blog but no one comments, I would like feed back or interaction with another blogger perhaps?

This week I also managed to get in the darkroom, and develop some prints, great at least when the other students were not present, I could just get down to the nitty gritty.

I love the darkroom, I have now realised its importance in photography, I know they're are digital toggers out there who have probably never laid their hands on an analogue SLR, let alone a negative. Well let me tell you it is a different world, and one that admittedly I find very intriguing and also so very satisfying, viewing your finished print. You get a realisation, that you have now immersed yourself in a world of past photographers, great names like Edward Steichen; Fox Talbot and the like who performed that very process themselves to produce an image!

I can only say wow, it is a fantastic feeling, you should try it!
The website  mentioned has a few images of my film work, I have shot in Kodak colour 200, but mostly shooting in good old black and white.

A black and white image for me reproduces the photographers emotive feeling at the time very well, I find it transcends into the work simultaneously. The thing with shooting in monochrome is this, no colour distraction to confuse the message unless of course, colour is needed to sell the message or to tell the story, then you must shoot in black and white, it simplifies what you are saying...Diane Arbus was famously quoted saying "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."


This statement for me has certainly some truth to it, if viewing a photograph you certainly want to know more about it, about the photographer; about the scene captured and the message it is conveying. A little while ago I spoke of metaphors in photography, and how they can sell an image, particularly in the advertising or commercial photography industry but how about those who photograph purely for the sake of art? They're a lot of photographers who do just that, even documentary photographers try an alternative thought process.

One photographer who epitomises this style of photography known as Photojournalism is American photographer Dorothea Lange.

Dorothea Lange (May 26, 1895 – October 11, 1965) was an influential American documentary photographer and photojournalist, best known for her Depression-era work for the Farm Security Administration (FSA).

This exceptional insight into America during the Great Depression shows how early thought provoking images were being taken and documented, this image says we are poor, we are hungry, we are stressed, we are worried, the children turn in towards the mother for support, and she is captured showing her vulnerable side and very open too.

It means so much more than words here, try putting yourself in that woman's shoes, and you will find great hardship but the not only that, you will found a woman who is strong.

The mother does look worried but am sure, she was very loving to those children, she loved them and she was strong for them.

I would love to capture images like this, the closest I have come is the odd homeless person on the streets of Manchester, Liverpool or London. The one thing I have learnt is this, they're beggars out there who; actually have a roof over their head. Yes it is appalling to know that..I found out that some of them are actually practising their art of acting too!

Anyways I digress, the one thing I was meant to be talking about and sharing with you is my website please take a look and if you can give constructive feedback please do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment